ABBEY THEATRE Amharclann na Mainistreach | Job Description
JOB TITLE: Lighting Technician
RESPONSIBLE TO: Head of Lighting & Sound
CONTRACT: 6 months Relief contract
For 115 years, the Abbey Theatre has played a significant role in reflecting Ireland’s evolving
cultural, political and social identity. It has done so through the creation and staging of an
important literary repertoire which has helped Irish people to understand and communicate what
it means to be Irish. This role continues, as the nation’s sense of identity continually evolves
and our population becomes increasingly multicultural. In this more globalised world, it is vital
that the Abbey Theatre continues to stand proudly amongst our peers as a world-class national
theatre, touring our work internationally and attracting great artists to work in Ireland.
The Abbey Theatre’s mission is to effectively and imaginatively engage with all of Irish society
through the production of ambitious and courageous theatre, in all its forms. Ireland’s
National Theatre is artist-led and audience-focused. We aim to ensure our programmes are
driven by ambitious, big ideas by theatre-makers of all disciplines, relevant to our times, and communicated effectively to all our citizens and stakeholders.
Our vision is to build a 21st century theatre and company, where creativity drives our every move, developing the artists and audiences of the future. We will be a confident collaborative company,
leading the way in how Irish theatre is developed, produced and disseminated; and where everyone
who works with us, irrespective of their role, knows that they are contributing to the work of one
of the world’s great theatres.
PURPOSE OF JOB:
The successful candidate will report to the Head of Lighting & Sound, and will assist in the smooth
running of the Lighting department, and all lighting related activity for Abbey and Peacock
productions, visiting companies and other events.
- The installation, focusing, programming and operation of lighting equipment and consoles associated with productions in both theatres, whilst liasing with the Lighting Designer on
how to best effect the ambitions of the production.
- To support the needs of creative teams, Production Managers, other in-house departments
and representatives of visiting companies on lighting related matters.
- To store, maintain and assist in PAT testing the Abbey and Peacock’s lighting equipment and ancillary equipment and cabling.
- To ensure a safe and tidy environment in all working areas within the department and the stage areas.
- To actively contribute towards innovating and upgrading the Abbey Theatres working practices across the Lighting Department.
- To provide operational support to other parties and their operations when required.
- To adhere to the Abbey Theatres Health and Safety policies, procedures and codes of practice.
- To act as a possible Fire Marshall for the building whilst on show call, in accordance with the buildings procedures.
- To tour nationally and internationally where required.
- You may also be required to assist in other areas of the department, including Audio or
AV duties as assigned by the Head of Lighting & Sound.
Skills / Experience:
- Experience as a Lighting Technician in a theatre environment.
- Experience of programming/ operating Lighting Consoles
- A practical understanding of electrics / electronics.
- Good computer/ IT skills.
- Maintenance and troubleshooting skills.
- Display an ability to demonstrate initiative and adaptability.
- Excellent communication and team working skills.
- Ability to work at height.
- Experience of contemporary lighting techniques.
- Understanding of Health and Safety standards and responsibilities in a theatre environment
Knowledge / experience of the following:
- Experience of Programming ETC lighting consoles
- Knowledge of Networked Control systems(Net 3)
- Robe Moving Lights
- ETC Lustr 2 LED engines
- Vectorworks Spotlight or other drawing package
- Follow spot operation
- Relevant Lighting technician qualification, or experience.
To apply, please send the below information:
- Up to date CV
- Cover letter
(Outlining why you want this particular post and highlighting the skills and experience that you could contribute)
The closing date for applications is 5 pm on Friday, 19th July 2019
The Abbey Theatre is an equal opportunities employer