Galway Community Circus seeks an exceptional individual to structure and lead the company’s development and build on the exciting opportunities on the horizon.
The role of is a new position in the company and an opportunity for the position holder to bring their creative and fresh ideas to the table to develop a sustainable future for the organisation. This is a full time role in a busy creative company, and we are seeking a dynamic individual who is keen to work within a growing organisation as we prepare for Galway’s year as European Capital of Culture 2020. The role is broad, with room for development, and it will evolve over time. The successful candidate will be working closely together with the Executive Creative Director, as well as being offered training and development if required.
Who We Are
Galway Community Circus is Ireland’s flagship organisation for youth and social circus, located in the heart of Galway City with a local, national and international remit. Our misson is to unlock personal and creative potential and deliver social inclusion for young people through circus arts. Through our ground-breaking programmes and high-quality productions, Galway Community Circus has proven itself to be a cradle of artistic excellence and educational innovation in Ireland, working with over 500 young people from diverse backgrounds every week.
This is an incredibly exciting time to join Galway Community Circus as we are exploring innovative new models of creative engagement and strive to be at the forefront of developing youth and social circus in Ireland and internationally. We are producing one of the anchor projects of Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture Programme Wires Crossed – a Balancing Act for Europe. This is a large-scale European project promoting mental and physical wellbeing and community integration through the art of funambulism (tightwire walking). This project gives us an opportunity to create a significant legacy for the young people of Galway, Ireland and Europe.
About the Role
We are looking for a highly motivated and dynamic individual to join our team as a General Manager to help us implement our newly published Strategic Plan 2018-2020 and contribute to a thriving organisation with ambitious plans for the years ahead.
As GM of Galway Community Circus, you will be a critical member of our team. Your work will greatly enhance the organisation, by bringing stability through systems and structures, and is integral in enabling GCC to achieve its ambitious objectives. This is a real opportunity for someone to bring order and stability into the organisation and to do it in a way that works in a collaborative and creative environment.
We are a young, dynamic and growing company with an energetic, motivated and skilled team where people work hard but also get to play, grow and develop. The role is a prominent strategic role in a growing sector, which offers the right person an opportunity to shape the sector and organisation in the next stage of our development.
The General Manager will work closely with the Executive Creative Director and the GCC team on the effective delivery of the Galway Community Circus’ artistic vision and strategic organisational development according to Strategic Plan 2018-2020. The GM will lead out with the stabilisation of the organisation while it’s growing and developing – working closely with the ECD particularly in areas of organisational capacity and sustainability as well as having areas of discrete responsibility. The GM will oversee administration, finance, compliance, staffing, all internal and some external communications.
Please click here for full job description
Who You Are
- You are passionate and committed to the values, objectives and vision of Galway Community Circus
- You are a positive dynamic team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- You can solve problems and put plans into action
- You have excellent organisational, administrative, IT and project management skills – you love getting things in order and can make things happen with maximum efficiency
- You have strong leadership ability and the capacity to motivate and manage a team
- You are able to work under pressure, prioritising between conflicting demands and retaining attention to detail while maintaining good humour and diplomacy
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience in a management, administrative or development role in the arts
- Minimum 2 years’ experience of financial management including understanding of cash flow, management accounts and supervision of budgets in excess of €500k
- Experience of programme management across a complex and multi-layered landscape and making the most of limited resources
- Proven ability to organise and prioritise a demanding workload working independently and effectively
- Demonstrable experience of developing and maintaining effective relationships with a wide range of organisations and individuals
Ideally the person appointed would have a track record in being strategic and resourceful about a company’s future and have experience in the administrative and legal aspects of company management including experience of HR and competency with accounting software (Quickbooks)
- Salary: €35,000 per annum
- Contract: Full-time, 3 year contract from 1st September 2018
- Hours: Standard hours Monday to Friday, but evenings and weekends will occasionally be required for which Time off in Lieu (TOIL) is offered by agreement of the ECD
- Location: Galway Community Circus Office, Galway City, Ireland – with occasional travel required across Ireland, and occasional international travel
- Holidays: 20 days paid holiday each year in addition to statutory bank holidays
- Probation Period: 6-Months
How To Apply
Please email your CV listing two referees (including phone numbers and email addresses) and cover letter outlining your interest in this role and what skills and experience you would bring to Galway Community Circus. Please refer directly to the job description and mark your email “General Manager Application”. Receipt of your application will be confirmed by email and your application will be treated with strictest confidence.
- Please submit your application by email to: email@example.com
- The closing date for applications is: 30th June 2018
- Interviews will be held: 11th July 2018 (second round 16th July)
If you have questions about the role please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Galway Community Circus is an equal opportunities employer. All appointments will be dependent on successful Garda vetting.More Info